3.16.2008

"Love the Genes You're In" Conference

So for the past few months I have been working with the Women's Advisory Council to put together this Love the Genes You're In Conference for women. Stephanie Fugal and I were the co-chairs of the conference and have been working hard getting speakers and sponsors, brainstorming ideas, getting things organized, and yesterday it all came together and the conference was such a success!


As a council, we recognized the media's negative influence on women, making them feel inadequate and putting pressure on them to look a certain way if they want to be happy. So we wanted the conference to help girls recognize what the media is doing, learn to dump the diet, love and accept your body, learn positive self-talk, and recognize their potential. Dove was one of our sponsors which meant so much because we talked about Dove's campaign for real beauty.






All the speakers did an amazing job and there was such a positive and uplifting spirit throughout the entire conference. The audience was engaged, involved, responsive, and seemed to enjoy themselves. I was so relieved and grateful that it went so well. I can't thank everyone enough who helped with the conference and it also meant a lot to have my friends and family come to support me and be involved in such a great cause.







-Amy

2 comments:

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, Amy! Yes, we are excited!

I so wish I could have gone to this conference. I helped coordinate a women's conference once at BYU and loved the experience. Great job, girl!!

Holly Moore said...

Amy, I'm so excited to find your blog!! I wish I could have gone to the love the genes your in convention. I'm not feeling the love lately and I definitely could have used that. I'm glad my blog made you laugh, I love writing, its cathartic. (=