12.13.2015

November

November was pretty jam-packed, it's always exciting anticipating the upcoming holidays and events and family time.

Josh was throwing a tantrum so he stayed in the car with me and Jack while Brandon and Emma had an impromptu date waiting for our dinner. We love this place, they make the best gyros, hands down.

They had just been playing dress-ups when the garbage truck came so out ran a princess and a pirate to chase the garbage truck down the street.

Polly had been telling us about Clark's Island Donuts for months and we finally made it happen.

Abigail came to visit for the weekend! That called for some sister time. How awesome that I get to live close to my sisters now?!! Dream come true.

I started feeding Jack formula Halloween night, stopped breastfeeding cold turkey. He wouldn't stop biting me and I felt like I wasn't producing enough and it was causing me a LOT of anxiety. I finally had enough and went and bought formula. It's the first time I've ever done formula OR bottles for any of my kids so it was a bit of an adjustment (I cried for a few days after making the switch) but it was also kind of awesome. I can now say I've done both and though I've always supported both breastfeeding and formula-feeding, I feel like I can more sincerely understand formula-feeding and understand that you just need to do what is right for you and sometimes you don't even get a choice in the matter so there is no room for any judgment whatsoever. But the separation, though a little emotionally hard for a day or 2 right after, was actually really good for me. I still feed Jack most of his bottles but to be able to so easily let someone else feed him was just really great for me.

BYU women's soccer game

We needed some leafpile-jumping.



Nathan's birthday party

So this is where the worst week ever started. Jack and Josh had had a cold the previous week and Saturday morning (the Saturday before Thanksgiving) Josh was complaining his ear hurt. Jack had been pulling on his ear too so I took all the kids with me by myself (Brandon had to work the football game that day) to the doctor. It took forever and it was really hard to keep the kids entertained in the teeny tiny doctor's office while we waited forever. They both did in fact have ear infections. I went to pick up their antibiotics, it wasn't ready, I went home for some dumb reason, turned around and drove through crazy game-day traffic to get their prescriptions, came home.

Emma said her tummy hurt and that she wanted to take a nap but I couldn't put her to bed without eating so I made her eat lunch which she promptly threw up... I was on major adrenaline the rest of the day until Brandon came home to help. And thus begins the week of the stomach flu that went through everyone in the family I'll spare you most of the horrible details. Everyone in our family, and almost everyone in Brandon's entire family that was here visiting that week. It was some epic domino-effect contagious horrible disease-spreading that happened and was bad timing in that we hoped to spend the week all together doing fun things but good in that Brandon was able to take time off to help take care of sick barfing kids. I experienced so much anxiety that week: debating what was okay to attend wondering who was contagious, who had what, who had been exposed, how long before they're not contagious anymore, trying to keep it from spreading but it did anyway, so much cleaning, laundry, sanitizing over and over to try to stay on top of the germs, not sleeping, feeling grossed out by everyone and everything, feeling on edge that someone might throw up at any moment, adrenaline constantly pumping, then I finally caught the bug myself and oh it was miserable. We all made it to Thanksgiving dinner-- some of us good to go, some still recovering.


So Brandon had to go to Logan for the football game at Utah State the following Saturday, it was snowing so he took the van and was to be gone all day. Jack had seemed to be getting a lot better but Saturday he had diarrhea at least 8 times and I was worried about dehydration (he'd been on amoxicillin all week which I'm sure wasn't helping with the diarrhea) so I called the doctor and they said to bring him in. I had let my sister borrow our other car thinking I wouldn't need it. She was gone caroling in Park City (she'd gotten a ride) so her friend had to go into her apartment to get the keys and drive our car over so we could go to the doctor, it was a little intense there for a bit, but we made it to the doctor, they said Jack was fine and that probiotics would help. He was fine the next day so it seemed fluke-y. Can I just say I'm still traumatized by the smell of amoxicillin diarrhea?

Boy. Oh. Boy. That was a reeeaally rough week, I experienced post-trauma stress and OCD sanitizing germaphobic paranoid behaviors for a good week after, maybe 2... or 3...  I wanted to bounce back but I also had to acknowledge that I had been through trauma and it was okay to take time to recover from it.

Monday we went to The Dave Rose Show at Malawi's Pizza at Riverwoods outdoor mall with Jason who was still in town and we hadn't seen much of him and wanted to hang out before he left the next day. After the show (and free dinner!) we walked around to see the lights and went on a horse & carriage ride around the mall. It was really fun to get out of the house and do something fun.

Emma is potty-trained!! She was sooo easy. There were a few things she really wanted so those were her potty prizes and she did great.

 Amanda, Ben, and Polly came over to decorate gingerbread houses!

No comments: