6.04.2007

Our Wedding

THE PROPOSAL

Unless the official proposal is a surprise, the unofficial pre-proposal speech is the cutest thing you'll ever see a guy do! Brandon and I hadn't talked about marriage at all when I started mentioning that I was trying to decide if I should go home for the summer. I couldn't imagine leaving but I wasn't sure I had reason to stay. So Brandon did his best to subtly mention his long-term intentions for our relationship but I wasn't really picking up on what he was trying to say. He must have realized it because one day, he told me he was going to come over later that night to tell me something. I hoped he'd at least tell me he wanted me to stay so we could continue dating. I remember he came over late that night after he got off work, all dressed up with freshly sprayed cologne and he was nervous. I had never seen him nervous before- it was so cute! It took him awhile but he finally told me that he wanted to marry me, the reasons why he wanted to marry me, and that he hoped we could get married soon... like that summer. I remember I couldn't stop smiling. I was so happy.

So that week Brandon ordered the ring but then left for a trip to Mexico with the BYU men's soccer team for almost two weeks to help with the documentary the team made. The first day he got back, May 5th, Brandon picked me up from work and said we were going on a picnic. I was so excited to see him after being apart, that the thought of him proposing didn't even cross my mind. We went to a park up the canyon and started walking along the stream when Brandon stopped and got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was very surprised but of course happy nonetheless.

PLANNING A WEDDING
After finally deciding on a date that worked best for everyone, we realized the wedding would be a lot sooner than we thought. We had two months to plan a wedding. We were both busy but we knew we could do it with the help from family and friends. I was working full-time as a receptionist on campus and Brandon was working full-time for BYU-TV so we could only do wedding plans nights and weekends. I was able to find my dream wedding dress sooner than I thought and we were able to put together and send out the announcements in time.

My family in Cedar Rapids, Iowa was taking on the huge responsibility of the reception. My younger siblings cleaned the house like they'd never cleaned before. My mom came up with the most creative and elegant ideas for decorating, for food, and for the wedding cake. She also made my sisters' bridesmaid dresses that were adorable. My dad did a lot of yardwork, plant buying, and landscaping. My family's poor dog was stuck in the garage more than she liked so she wouldn't mess up the backyard. Brandon's family was very supportive and helpful in the planning and they also put together a very fun open house in Casper, Wyoming.

My friend Debbie was our photographer for the engagement pictures, my bridal pictures, and the wedding. My best friends Debbie, Lindsey, and Tess threw me the classiest bridal shower. Everything fell into place perfectly just in time. Because of supportive family members and friends, the planning was very enjoyable.





THE WEDDING DAY

Brandon and I drove out to Iowa the week before the wedding. It was the first time my family met Brandon but they fell in love with him, to no surprise. We had fun accomplishing last minute tasks and hosting extended family and friends that arrived from all over the country for the wedding. We had a big family dinner the night before the wedding hosted by Brandon's family. It was a lot of fun. Everything seemed unreal but I remember feeling very excited and it was heaven to be surrounded by all the people I love.

On July 8th, 2006, we woke up early to get ready and drive two hours to Nauvoo, Illinois. Brandon and I were sealed for time and eternity in the Nauvoo temple. It was an experience I will never forget. Then it was picture time! Luckily the weather was perfect as we spent a few hours taking pictures outside the temple. Then we drove back just in time to get ready for the reception. It had been sprinkling on and off all day and we went back and forth about taking the reception inside but held out and it cleared up just as the reception was to start.




The reception was perfect. The flower arrangements took my breath away, the Tony Bennett love songs in the background brought a smile to my face, and the embraces and words of congratulations from so many friends and family were priceless. My best friends from high school came, my favorite teachers from school and from church came, and so many other supporters of me and my family came. I danced with my dad to "The Way You Look Tonight" (Father of the Bride is my favorite movie). I danced with Brandon to "You and Me" (by Lifehouse). I threw the bouquet but then had to steal it back because I forgot we had more pictures to take! Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves whether they were eating the delicious food, stopping by the chocolate fountain, dancing to the music, blowing bubbles, or just relaxing and chatting with one another. After it was over, I felt like I couldn't express enough thanks to everyone for everything.





THE HONEYMOON

The next day Brandon and I flew to Orlando, Florida and stayed at the most beautiful hotel. We went to Universal Studios, mini-golfed the Disney course in the rain, walked around Pleasure Island: the Disneyland Resort, enjoyed dinner theater, went out to eat, saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 in a ghetto movie theater that was freezing, got lost (even though we had a GPS navigation system in our rental car), and just overall enjoyed a relaxing vacation.

THE OPEN HOUSE

After returning to Cedar Rapids, Brandon and I joined my family in the drive out to Casper, Wyoming for the open house. Brandon's family and my family really hit it off and had a lot of fun together for the few days we were there. It was so much fun knowing that we all really enjoyed spending time together. The open house was a hit. There was great food, delicious cake, and volleyball! It was fun seeing Brandon's extended family and meeting his friends from home. The weather was great and we all had a great time.
-Amy

THANK YOU! Thanks again to everyone involved in any part of the wedding. Everything was so perfect because of all of you! The memories will be cherished forever.



No comments: