8.12.2007

Employment

A lot of people have been asking for another voice on the blog. Amy has done a great job of updating the world though text of our life's happenings. As you can see, we have been extremely busy this summer. During the Spring Semester I took my final class at BYU, Producing 385. It was during this time that Amy always wanted to know what my next move would be. With my education complete, I needed to find what most people call a “real job.” I had worked at BYU Broadcasting as the International Sports Producer for over a year and a half and really wanted to find a job with sports production. I began applying everywhere in the continental United States with different broadcast entities. Also during this time, my boss at BYU had been touring through Europe for his MBA program which had completed, so not only was I looking for a job, I was taking a class, and I was in charge of multiple broadcasts we were doing at BYU Broadcasting. As you can see it was a stressful time. I didn’t receive any offers from the jobs I applied for, so I started to look in other areas where I could use my Communications Degree. I decided to apply for some corporate communications jobs around the nation. At this time my boss returned from Europe and he met with his boss about the future of BYU Broadcasting.

It was proposed to create a new weekly half hour sports show that would air on both BYU-TV (nationally on cable and on satellite) and KBYU (locally in Utah). My boss knew the undertaking it would require to do a show like this and wanted no part of it. He suggested that I stay around and take on the bulk of the show. So in one afternoon when I wasn’t expecting anything, I went from no job to create a new show. I didn’t understand the magnitude or effort it would require to create a new television show. So, from that day until now, I have been anxiously learning and working hard at preparing everything for the new show so that it can begin September 5th. Amy and I are excited to stay in Provo for the time being. I am hoping I can do this for a couple of years before we try something new.

-Brandon

No comments: