2.09.2010

36 weeks


So at this week's doctor's appointment the measurement of my uterus was a few centimeters smaller than last week's appointment and they wanted to just make sure that the baby was growing okay so they did an ultrasound. Sure enough he's growing just fine. He's in the 90th percentile for all of his measurements. He weighs 7.2 lbs right now. The doctor said that since I'm taller I have more room for the baby to change positions which would make my measurements vary from week to week. He also said that since the baby has "dropped" in the past week and is engaged at a -1 station, that also could have made for more room and possibly made me measure smaller. I'll admit I was a little worried before the ultrasound but I'm relieved knowing that this baby boy is is a good size and that everything is fine. It was really fun seeing him on the ultrasound. We could see him putting his hand in his mouth... yeah not just his thumb.... his whole hand... haha. It was cute. I'm getting so excited to meet him!


It's really crazy to think that it's just another few weeks until the baby comes. I'm still not ready for him but I'm making some good progress. We found a pair of black leather rocker recliners on Craigslist at an amazing price. I found some Beatrix Potter prints and a great deal on some really cute matted frames for them. Right now I'm on the hunt for a dresser and curtains. I'm also wondering a few things... What is the best manual nursing pump? (along with that, best bottles? bottle accessories?) Do I need a diaper pail? Do I need a sound machine? Any tips on choosing a crib? I was planning on getting the Jenny Lind cherry crib to match the changing table I already have but I'm open to suggestions. And are all crib mattresses basically the same?

My mom is making me the cutest things left and right. In her most recent box she sent me, she made me a Taggie. She made a blue and brown texture quilt that has all different feeling fabrics so the baby can have fun feeling different things. She made me basket liners for the baskets on the shelves in changing table to match the changing pad covers she'd made. She made some fleece hats. She made the most adorable bunting. She made me a diaper clutch which is one of my favorite things-- I saw it online and wanted it but it was really expensive and my mom said she could make it pretty easily. It's basically a changing pad that has a pocket at the bottom to put the travel wipes and diapers in and you roll it up and put it in your diaper bag. It's so cute. It's like Christmas every time she sends me a package with her latest makings.

-Amy

4 comments:

Allison said...

Wow! Cute stuff from your mom! How fun. You're getting so close!! I'm interested to read people's advice regarding the questions you've asked--I've been wondering about some of those same things. I guess a lot of it will just come down to trial and error, huh? :)

Jamie Smith said...

Ugh... Can your mom be Lucy's and Bennett's pseudo grandma!? Awesome! And I've seen your rockers now. Thy are way nice.

Yes sound machine! All for that! The minute I turn it on my kids start rubbing their eyes. Wonderful.

Everything else I have no opinions on. You'd think I would know more after two kids.

Can't wait to see you guys as parents!

Anonymous said...

Cute! You are SO on top of things. I feel like I am so disorganized and still trying to figure out what to get. :)

You look great! Can't wait to see your little guy.

Megan said...

I love all that stuff your mom made. The bunting is adorable and the diaper wipes clutch is really cute. So fashionable.
I think every baby is so different but from my experience a diaper pail is nice to have. If you live in an apartment I would get a diaper pail. You change diapers so often you want something to throw that diaper away quick in without getting the room stinky. I rarely ever use bottles so I don't have a lot of advice there. I do know if you are worried about BPA I would go with glass bottles. Matthew prefers the boob and honestly nursing is so much faster and easier when you are exhausted and it is 4 am. If you want to get out of the house than yes bottles give you some freedom. I have a manual pump. I think it's EvenFlo. Not super amazing. I don't know if any manual pump is. If your boob feels like it is about to explode (which will happen) a pump like this is great to relieve you and it's barely any work to pump. However, normally it's a lot of work to pump when it's manual. I'm not sure if white noise ever really helped Matthew but I know some parents swear by it. Matthew was such a motion junkie. The swing saved my life. He also liked his stroller and if he was having a fit I would push him back and forth in his stroller and he would calm down and a lot of times fall asleep. Good luck with everything! You are getting so so close now!!!