9.02.2010

5 1/2 months old

Josh is growing so fast. He's mastered all of the toys on his exersaucer and will just sit there and look at me like he's saying, "this bores me." He really likes whacking and throwing but he still loves to snuggle. He still grabs our face (and hair!) and when he sits next to us he grabs our arm and "holds our hand". My favorite is when he tilts his head back and looks up at me, just to make sure it's me that's holding him or sitting by him. He's started this new thing where if he's on his tummy on a hard surface like the hardwood or bathroom floor he will whack at the floor and listen to the sound and then he will lay his face down on the floor and blow raspberries onto the floor. It's hilarious. I'll try to get video of it soon.

He wants to play with anything that's not a toy. We had to pull out an old laptop and an old remote for him to whack at and chew on so he leaves ours alone. He loves reading books, especially books that are songs like we have a book that has pictures with the words to the song from the Disney Hercules "I Will Go the Distance". He loves listening to music. Whenever piano music is playing he will just sit there and listen. He also loves to be outside.


He'll be able to sit up on his own any day now. He can sit by himself once I get him in the position but he hasn't quite figured out how to get into the sitting position on his own. He only takes a few naps during the day. He's still sleeping through the night. Because he's awake more during the day he gets bored sometimes and gets a little whiny but I've tried to get out of the house so he gets a change of scenery. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good jogging stroller? Are jogging strollers only good for jogging or are they the best for going on walks as well? I also want to get an umbrella stroller but I'm wondering if there are nicer ones that can recline back and have covers and stuff. Any recommendations? I mostly want it to be light and compact.


We had some friends over for dinner and they have a little girl that's about 2 1/2 months old, Mary, and we sat Josh and Mary in front of each other to see what they'd do and they both smiled at each other and then Josh gently grabbed her face and nicely stroked it. Then he stroked her hand. It was the cutest thing. I wish I got it on video. I just love that he's so gentle. It's so fun to see babies interact with each other.

He's about grown out of all his clothes. I've been waiting for the local annual week-long children consignment sales that start in a couple weeks. Are there certain types of clothes that are better for crawling babies? I've been just putting him in onesies but just realized that it's going to start getting chilly and I should get warmer clothes. Would a long-sleeved onesie and pants be good?
-Amy

3 comments:

Kaylyn said...

HEY! Here's my two cents on strollers...a jogging stroller will work for walking and jogging. Some of them come with a front wheel that swivels AND can be made to stay straight. Those are good for everyday stuff. As far as an umbrella stroller goes, my favorite brand is Maclaren. They are SUPER lightweight and compact. I have the Quest and it reclines about 3/4 of the way back. I think it's the Techno that reclines all the way. Anyway...I hope you find one that you like. You should go to Babies 'R' Us and just try some out...see what you like.

Josh is such a cutie, by the way! Talk to you soon!!

Allison said...

I agree with the previous comment--we only have a jogging stroller and use it for jogging and being out and about (mall, walking, etc) and we love it. The front wheel locks for jogging and swivels for walking and turns on a dime. It isn't much longer than a regular stroller, either. Chad did a lot of research and learned that jogger wheels with real tires and metal spokes (as opposed to plastic tires and spokes) are more durable and have better cushion for the baby. We really like ours if you want to check it out: http://www.juststrollers.com/stroller-brands/instep-strollers/instepsafarijoggingstroller2008rosekhaki.cfm (obviously you probably wouldn't want the pink, but I believe it comes in other colors). It's a little heavy, but no more than I can handle, and I don't think it's any heavier than most joggers.The wheels detach and attach easily, and it comes with an attachment for a carseat that's compatible with many brands. I'll stop now before I go on forever, but we've been really happy with it. So far (for the 6 months we've been using it) it hasn't had any problems, and I'm fairly hard on it. We call it Samantha's off-road vehicle ;)

Josh is sooo cute! And getting so big! He seems like such a sweetie!

Sara and Justin said...

That was SO adorable when Josh and Mary interacted. He's such a sweetie! We need to get together again so they can continue interacting!