9.01.2010

New house update

Well we've lived in our new house for a month now. Being a homeowner is a huge blessing and definitely has some major benefits, but it's also a lot harder than I thought. There's just a lot of little things that we used to not have to worry about that we do now. And there's a lot to learn as a homeowner. So we're adjusting but we're making progress.

The past month in our new house has felt like a year. It's been full of adventures, ups and downs, blessings and trials. Though our to-do list is long and continues to grow, here's what we HAVE checked off our to-do list: we bought hoses and sprinklers to try and save the sod that had been neglected for months while the house was on the market, we bought a lawn mower and pretty much just mowed weeds since the grass isn't really growing yet, we bought a couple leather rocker recliners that we found for a great deal on Craigslist so we'd have more seating in the main room while we save up for a nice matching leather sofa and loveseat set, we bought a big area rug for the main room so Josh can roll and scoot anywhere he'd like (before/after pictures below), we stained our deck (before/after pictures below), we hung a curtain rod for the sliding doors (there is still a sheet hanging because the curtains are still on the to-do list), and we ordered new checks with our new address. And keep in mind the "after" pictures aren't mean to be impressive like "look at the awesome makeover"... they're just one step closer to the end result which might take years but we're documenting the improvements along the way :).


We've had a few bumps in the road. I'll start with the biggie: our basement flooded... with sewage. Luckily not much of our stuff was down there so only a few Christmas decorations got ruined. Everything else was washable or disposable. Since our house is under warranty everything was taken care of: the plumbing problem was fixed, the basement was cleaned, and the basement carpet was replaced. Of course all the fixing happened here and there over the course of a couple weeks so it was definitely an inconvenience to say the least to have people in and out of our house almost every day for a couple weeks doing something with that whole thing.

Other challenges were mostly just the combination of a lot of little hard things happening at once that made life in general seem really hard. Moving was tough and added more to my plate than I anticipated. I didn't have the time and energy to do what I expected myself to be able to do and I felt like the house would never get organized and put away. And there were days when Josh would be really fussy and Brandon would come home from work and I'd realize I'd done nothing that day besides take care of Josh, like literally nothing-- I hadn't touched my hair since I woke up, I was still in my pjs, I was starving because I hadn't eaten anything but maybe a bowl of cereal, I didn't know what was going on in the news, I didn't make dinner, I didn't do x, y, and z and all I had to show for it was a cranky baby.

So there's been the pressure of trying to get moved in and unpacked, the pressure of trying to make our house look presentable, and then on top of that there's the normal day-to-day things like eating, showering, getting dressed, going to the store, making dinner, laundry, church callings, and trying to do all that while taking care of a baby has been a little tough for me. Brandon has been really busy at work so he's been gone a lot but he's handling this homeowner thing like a champ. I don't know how he does it but he comes home from a long busy day at work and has the energy to help me out with Josh and other things around the house. He is such an example to me of having a positive attitude. He helps me remember all the things that have gone right, all the blessings we have, and what's really important.

If anyone enjoys home decorating I'd love advice on anything.
-Amy

No comments: