
Josh's best friend Winnie came over to our house for a sleepover because Winnie's baby brother Florian was getting surgery really early the next morning. They played outside, colored together, watched a movie together, ate dinner, and played in the basement. Then the bedtime ritual began. Bath, brush teeth, books, songs, and then the heartbreak of going into their separate rooms.
Josh was so excited about Winnie at his house that he didn't sleep the greatest, he kept wanting to go wake up Winnie to play. When Winnie finally woke up (at the perfectly normal hour of 7:15) Josh ran into her room and with ZERO hesitation gave her the biggest hug EVER. It was one of the most precious moments I've ever witnessed. The joy on his face at seeing her in the morning was just so adorable.
They picked up right where they left off and continued playing together. Then I had the idea of taking them all to the park but realized I didn't have Winnie's carseat (I'm not positive I can fit 3 carseats in my sedan anyway) so we'd have to walk to the park. I also don't have a 3-seater stroller so I hoped Josh would just walk with me. I brought Emma's Baby Bjorn just in case I needed to carry her and put the kids in the stroller.
Well... Josh didn't want to walk so he sat on the front of the stroller, not buckled in. I was walking pretty slow and had my eye on him because I knew IF he fell off I'd need to try to catch him so he wouldn't roll off (like a person jumping out of a moving car) and hurt himself. It was going great. I even snapped this picture. Everyone was so happy...
Then I went down a tiny hill and as though it was in slow motion, watched Josh fall off and roll onto the asphalt (just how I imagined it would happen if it did) and I reached to catch him but just wasn't quick enough. He got scraped up pretty bad. He did a quick inspection to make sure he didn't break anything, that his head was in tact, that he didn't lose or chip any teeth, and check if there was blood pouring out from him anywhere but luckily he was "ok" and this did NOT call for a trip to the ER. He was crying so hard he kept dry heaving. It was so sad. Luckily Emma was asleep and Winnie stayed calm. I finally got Josh to calm down and I carried him while I pushed the stroller (I'm sure that was a sight) to a friend's house who lived much closer to where we were than our house. We got a wet paper towel to clean him up and a few bandaids. His lip was really swollen and his eyebrow was scraped up pretty deeply.
Then Josh seemed ok so since we were almost to the park we continued on to the park and I let them play for a little while. They needed a little wiggle time after it took forever to finally get there. The walk home was really rough. I really wished in that moment that I could just snap my fingers and we'd magically be home. We were hot, sweaty, tired, and hungry. Josh was sleep-deprived from the rough night before and obviously injured and sad. He didn't want anything to do with the stroller so I tried to coax him to walk but he was walking sooo slowly and kept tripping. Then he dropped a cracker and it broke and he had a meltdown in the middle of the road. I was about to panic. I decided I better strap Emma on me in the Bjorn and buckle Josh in the stroller and just hurry home. And we made it.
Emma and Winnie adore each other too. They're basically sisters. In fact while Winnie and Emma were playing together in the basement while Josh was taking his afternoon nap, Winnie was "on the phone" and I heard her say "I'm just playing with my sister Emma." Precious! We love Winnie and can't wait for the next sleepover!









No comments:
Post a Comment