6.25.2013

Trip to Iowa


Going to visit my family in Iowa was so wonderful. The 15-hour drive went surprisingly well. Josh and Emma watched shows on the ipads, listened to Big Story Time (children's books read by the cutest little girl), read books, played with stickers, and had lots of snacks.

We stopped for the night and our hotel room had 2 double beds so Brandon and Josh shared one and Emma and I shared the other. But since I couldn't push the bed against the wall to create a barrier to keep her from falling off the bed I didn't sleep all night because every time she moved an inch I woke up in a flailing panic trying to "save" her from falling off the bed which she never did or even get close :). Oh it was a horrible long night. I'm not sure what I should have done in retrospect. There wasn't room to move the mattress onto the floor. I guess I could've brought her pack n play but didn't want to take up room in the car when I'd only use it on our drive there and back.

 At stops, we let Josh ride his bike around. It was the greatest idea EVER.


We made it and had so much fun hangin out together.  We did some thrifting of course, movie-watching, The Sing Off-watching, goodie-baking, and soaking each other in. It was the first time Polly had met Emma!! 


Sadly just a few days after being there Emma spiked a high fever for a few days and then when the fever was gone, broke out in a rash. It was roseola. But she still had fun and was a great sleeper. She just didn't have a huge appetite and wanted to be held more than normal.

Josh and Emma spent practically all their time in the sandbox. From sun up to sun down they were here. We bought Emma some durable jeans that she could crawl around in to protect her knees while she was outside on the concrete deck. All my sisters spent so much time just adoring and loving on these guys. And they'd share with me things they noticed about my kids that they think are wonderful and great and it reminded me of things I knew but hadn't thought about in awhile and of course made me appreciate my kids more but also made me love my sisters more for noticing and loving my kids so much.



Josh hosted a tea party.

 Had to make a stop to get some Dilly bars at Dairy Queen.

Blair let Emma walk her around the yard for hours everyday. 

Manly bonding.

I remember when I was younger and my dad would draw pictures of things and I would guess what they were. He's a really good artist. He drew me and Josh knew who it was! I love that my dad is THE BEST with kids and loves my kids so much and is so sweet, fun, tender, and thoughtful with them. He teaches them, gets to know them, and has a desire to make the most of the time he has with them to develop as much of a relationship as he can with them.

After a dance party in the kitchen Josh stopped and wanted to give everyone a hug.

Trevor came!



 Welcoming BYU Vocal Point as they arrived at the airport Friday night! So excited to meet the guys I hadn't met yet and see them all!!

After the AMAZING Vocal Point concert Saturday! It was soo incredible to see them perform. I'd seen them perform a few numbers live but I hadn't seen their entire concert before. It was so great to experience it and see Trevor with his best friends doing what they love. They are so talented! They are just no words to describe how talented they are and how entertaining they are in such a fun and uplifting way. They are amazing guys. Brandon and I took the kids to the matinee (the kids barely made it through... it was their nap time after all) and then Brandon, being the sweet guy he is, watched the kids that night so I could go to the night show too!

On Sunday after church the Vocal Point guys came over to hang out and have dinner. It was fun. Josh idolizes these guys. He pulled up a chair and asked for a plate of chips :)


That night Vocal Point did a musical fireside at the church building and it was such a special experience. The format is that all the guys are prepared to do a "Hymn Share" where they have thought and prayed about a hymn they feel they should sing and a message they share before all the guys sing that hymn. At the beginning of the fireside their director, McKay, spoke for a few minutes. He talked about how these guys are more than just performers or singers, they are musical missionaries because they have a desire to share their testimonies through their voices. They use their talent to uplift, inspire, and share the gospel. Then McKay chose a few of the guys to do their Hymn Share and he laid out the rest of the program. All the messages shared were so inspired and sincere. I was thinking about how these young men had gained such valuable wisdom and learned from their experiences. They had faith and strong testimonies and could see the hand of the Lord in their life and were grateful for it. I thought to myself how much I hope my children grow up and are able to have faith to endure through their trials and learn from them and see the hand of the Lord in their life and be grateful. 

Anyway Trevor was one of the guys chosen to do a Hymn Share and he shared an experience that I sort of remember but didn't know the details or the depth of this story. When Trevor was in elementary school he had the opportunity to sing a solo.  As a young boy he had a naturally higher voice and after he sang his solo his friends teased him that he sounded like a girl. So he quit singing. He loved singing ever since I can remember. He was an amazing singer even as a very young toddler boy. So it was sad that he quit singing but I didn't think it was sad to him but Trevor shared that it was. He said he felt like a part of him was missing and he was depressed and a few years passed and he decided he needed music back in his life so he started taking voice lessons and auditioned for school choirs and of course with his amazing natural talent made it into the high school's elite a cappella choir. Music became a huge part of his life again and he felt complete. He felt so much happiness singing and sharing his talent with others. So his message was that you should be true to yourself, be confident in who you are, and do what makes you happy. 

Then Vocal Point sang "Noyana" which Trevor arranged which just emphasized his amazing musical talent and gift he possesses and shares. It was really special to hear that song after hearing his story and message. The spirit was strong and I felt so proud of Trevor for his accomplishments and grateful for his talent and the wonderful person he is.

   

After the fireside we all went back to our house (the Vocal Point guys too) and hung out outside on the deck. It was fun to spend more time with the guys in a more casual setting. McKay asked my dad if he had anything he'd like to say before we said a prayer together before they left for the night. My dad gave the most perfect speech (I asked him if he had thought about it or practiced something and he said no!) saying everything I was thinking but some things I hadn't really realized I was thinking but he put all my thoughts and feelings into words, mainly about how these guys were such a positive influence for good and were such great examples and how important music is in sharing testimony and in feeling the Spirit and they were truly musical missionaries. He said they are all such stand up guys and how grateful he is that Trevor has had the chance to become part of this group of guys who are now his best friends and family and who love him and are such great friends to him. He said he was so thankful they were willing to come perform concerts in Cedar Rapids and what a great thing it's been in the community. It was just the perfect speech. 

Two days later we drove to Nauvoo to see Vocal Point perform there (they were starting their 2-week tour there).

We got there early enough in the afternoon to see some sites and spend a few hours with Trevor before he had to go get ready for their performance.




After the Vocal Point concert in Nauvoo!




We stayed the the coolest hotel that night and considering we were all (me, Brandon, Josh, and Emma) in the same room we slept pretty well. Emma woke up really early though and to make sure Josh kept sleeping I took her out on a walk and we killed time until everyone else woke up. That was a little rough but it could've been worse. Breakfast at the hotel is served to you in a fancy parlor and was delicious.

We went to the temple and walked around. It was the first time we'd been since being sealed there 7 years ago! Josh has seen many pictures and it was so fun for him to see the temple in real life.

Then we got lunch and hit the road so the two littles could get their nap on the way home. They were tired after a late night and early morning!

Brandon and I visited my dad at work. I slept in the corner while they talked business ;)

My mom and sisters helped me make made my t-shirt quilt! I love it and they are the best for doing that for me.



Our last full day together we celebrated Emma's 1st birthday!
I think Emma looks a lot like my mom. My mom is is the epitome of the perfect grandma-- she spoils her grandkids and gives them whatever they want :), she compliments them and points out their strengths, she looks for every opportunity to snuggle them, they are NEVER a burden or annoyance to her, she bends over backwards to love and take care of them. She pulls out fun activities, toys, goodies, and makes everything fun. All she wants to do is have positive happy loving experiences with them and it melts my heart.


Abigail decorated Emma's birthday cake-- cutest.cake.ever. (Inspiration here.)





Our last night there we had a game night. What a fun trip. Wasn't long enough. Had the best time ever. I stayed up later than I should have each night because I just couldn't get enough. I love these people. They're my people. They get me. They take care of me. They love me. They love my husband. They love my kids. They inspire me. They are examples to me. They are incredibly selfless, giving, stalwart people who are also intelligent, clever, witty, hilarious, fun, talented, gorgeous, adorable, and truly wonderful people. I'm lucky to be related to them.

1 comment:

Laurie Stoker said...

I enjoyed this so much. I love you and your people.