After checking in to our lodge, orientation meetings, meeting the kids day camp group leaders, and scoping out the place to make sure it was just how we remembered, we ate dinner (all meals provided for) and went to Cowboy Night! Train rides, cowboy games for all ages, face painting, pinata, etc. The kids rode the train pretty much non-stop the whole night :-)



The next morning after breakfast we dropped the kids off with their group leaders for activities (the kids go with their groups during the morning and in the afternoon, we pick them up for lunch and then for dinner and they stay with us in the evenings). Josh went swimming first thing! I had just dropped Emma off and saw Josh and his group on their way to the pool and was feeling so proud of him for happily leaving his parents to go with a "teacher" and friends to do something on his own-- if you can't spot him he's just about to get off the bridge in the striped swim shorts waving to me :-)


With Emma's group she got to play in the playground from heaven including this sandboat, an awesome house to play in, a huge teepee, an airplane, trampoline, and much much more. Not to mention since there weren't that many kids her age she had a one-on-one buddy (group leader) to take care of her who was the sweetest girl and helped Emma have the best time. She also got snacks, watched a movie, and they have a nap room so she could take a nap and someone will watch her!


Did a little fishing.

I did my first ropes course which also involved climbing a log with tiny notches and THEN climbing up a climbing wall. The ropes course was a cinch compared to that and the repelling at the end I wish I knew how to do faster :-). I enjoyed it. I was proud of myself afterward. WHIIIILE I was in the middle of the ropes course I hear a crying child from below and as it got closer I realized it was Josh. His group had been walking by the fishing pond and Josh thought a certain spot was a path but it was actually the pond covered with enough rime and leaves that it looked like it was ground so he walked on it like it was ground and fell right in the pond completely. His group leader got him out of the pond but he was pretty traumatized, and soaking wet. Craig took Josh right away to our room to get changed. Brandon had just started the ropes course so he took the short route to be done sooner so he could help Josh.
Friday night was the Campfire with skits and sing-along.
Every night after we put the kids to bed we'd gather in the lobby to eat junk food and play board games. It's where the best memories are made.
I went to the pool to lay out and read a book a few times and Brandon and I had a few mini-dates getting goodies from the camp store (including BYU Creamery ice cream!), playing a game of badminton, or just walking around.
We did some archery. Brandon defended his title of best archer aka the "Robin Hood" award. Then we did Aspen Follies where we play relay games and try to get the highest score, defending champions once again :-).


Cousins!
Grandparents with grandkids.

The original Despain family
Sunday morning we enjoyed a beautiful Sacrament Meeting testimony meeting at the outdoor amphitheater. Okay actually I had to walk around/sit in the back with Emma and give her my iphone to try to keep her from screaming during the meeting but we survived. Then we said our goodbyes, had lunch at Cafe Rio with the Bowens in Heber on our way out of town and started our 18-hour drive to Iowa! Til next time Aspen Grove!

















No comments:
Post a Comment