It seems that when Josh gets an injury he REALLY gets an injury...He had to get his first filling in a back molar and they really numbed up his face to make sure it was good and numb for the filling. He did great with the filling, came home happy and doing well.
They mentioned that he might accidentally bite his lip so be sure to remind Josh not to bite or chew on his lip even though it felt weird (or actually he couldn't feel it at all!) but he kept kind of chewing on it. I did all I could to stop him but at some point that morning he bit the inside of his lip reeeeally good so it started swelling up.
I didn't know that that's why it was swelling but I noticed his lip was getting bigger and bigger as the day went on so I called the dentist and they had me bring him back in that afternoon and told me he had bitten it while it was numb. The dentist opened up his lip and that's when I saw what he was talking about. I hadn't thought to open up his lip to look at it closely inside... BEWARE, the following pictures are
The dentist said recovery would be about 3-5 days (it ended up being a lot longer than that), to use ice packs on it, to have him eat soft mild (non-acidic) foods, and give him ibuprofen for the pain and swelling. The next day his lip started turning white inside (like a canker sore).
It was scabbing on the outside and was still really swollen. Poor Josh. He had a hard time eating, drinking, sleeping (he woke up sobbing a few times from the pain).
Then WHILE he was still recovering from this major lip injury, he got a bad cold and after a few days had a really high fever because he'd developed pneumonia, and a double ear infection. Emma got the same cold the same time as Josh and also developed an ear infection. A week later Brandon got strep, 2 days later both Josh and Emma came down with strep. YIKES. I miraculously didn't catch strep BUT after everyone was finally recovered and healthy again I came down with a horrible debilitating knock-me-out for 3 days head cold. The sickness never ended!! It was so exhausting.

The day Brandon came down with strep Josh made his first pinewood derby car but 2 days later when Josh got strep is when the race was so he couldn't go. He was so so soooo sad. Things were just not going his way :-(
Finally after seriously more like almost 2 weeks his lip started looking better and exactly 1 month later it was all the way healed. It was just so sad because he was self-conscious about it (I tried to not say anything or react ever but he could see it in the mirror and he thought it was gross) and said he didn't want to go to church or music class or things like that because he didn't want his friends to see his lip :-(. He didn't smile his big smile because he couldn't with his lip so he did a new smile, the one where you're trying not to smile so he'd like purse his lips to keep from smiling big. It was still cute of course but made me sad that his lip was affecting him so much. He adapted how he eat and drank so it wouldn't hurt his lip. He didn't sleep well. It was just a rough time for him. For all of us.

















No comments:
Post a Comment