So Thursday morning we packed up the van with our suitcases and things we'd need for the next few weeks, a cooler of snacks, and left bright and early. We made it all way to Indianapolis (9 hours away from Charlottesville). I couldn't believe we made it that for. I wanted to get that far but had no idea how the kids would do in the car. They were awesome. Jack cried just maybe once or twice for a little bit but otherwise was happy or sleeping. I'd stop to feed him about every 3 hours. We'd let the kids get out to wiggle and ride their scooters. We'd usually get gas too. But the motivation to keep going was so we could get to the hotel at a reasonable hour and have less driving to do the next day. It was so fun talking to Karen during the drive. The kids just watched movies and snacked and slept.
We made it to Indianapolis around 7:30ish. By the time we got settled and brought our stuff in the hotel room, we had time to swim for a bit, take quick baths and we all passed out by 9-9:30. Everyone slept so great! It was such a miracle. I was so worried Jack would wake up a lot and then wake everyone else up and then we'd not be in good shape for the next day. But he did great!


We left early again the next morning (Friday) and it was about 5 hours to get to Nauvoo, Illinois. Karen had never been to Nauvoo before and I wanted to take her there since it's only 2 hours away from my parents house which was our destination. We stopped in Carthage first and spent a little time there.
Then we got to Nauvoo (just 30 minutes away), checked into our hotel, and drove down to Historic Nauvoo, had a picnic dinner, went the visitors center, outlined all the things Karen could do. The kids just didn't have it in them to do anything, we tried and it backfired, bad. It may have involved me dragging a wailing and screaming Emma down the entire length of Historic Nauvoo to get to where the van was parked to change her poopy diaper come to find out she had a major rash and chaffing blister. And it was hot. So I took the kids to a park, then it started raining so we just went to the hotel, swam in the pool, took baths, watched some Disney Jr, and went to bed.

Karen saw the Sunset by the Mississippi show and the Trail of Hope with the young performing missionaries (it was the last night for both of those, I'm so glad Karen could see them). The kids slept awesome again that night, woo hoo!! Miracle! Karen did a session in the Nauvoo temple Saturday morning. I brought the kids to meet up with her by the visitors center and we went on a wagon tour. It was overcast and perfect weather. Then Karen went around to tour some homes and I took the kids to Pioneer Pastimes where the kids can play and touch EVERYTHING (unlike almost everywhere else :-)). Emma dressed up as a pioneer, the kids played pioneer games with the sister missionaries there, and I just sat on a nearby bench with Jack and enjoyed the weather and was so happy the kids were happy.
Quick picture of me and Karen in front of the temple before we left.
We drove 2 hours to the Moline, Illinois/Quad cities airport for Karen to get on her flight back to Virginia. It's a cute little airport that the kids had fun running around in while Karen got her stuff organized. Then we walked with her to security and said our goodbyes. I didn't realize it until then that Karen was my last piece of Virginia that was with me so it didn't really feel like I was saying goodbye to Virginia or moving away until she was leaving to go back and then everything kind of hit me a little more. She was flying back to Virginia, but I wasn't. I was continuing on my journey to Utah. Virginia wasn't my home anymore. It was a hard goodbye. Karen had just done soooo much for me. I'll never forget it. She's a forever friend, basically family, and her kindness, service, and love will never be forgotten. The kids mostly call her Sister Mayry from her being their Primary chorister but also sometimes called her Grandma Mayry. They love her to pieces.
















No comments:
Post a Comment