3.19.2010

Baby Joshua is here!

Joshua Brandon Despain made his arrival Monday, March 15th at 7:56pm. He weighed 7 lbs 11 oz and measured 19 inches long.


So my contractions started Sunday evening and got steadily closer together and more painful through the night. We went to the doctor Monday morning at 9 right when they opened. Here I am in this picture that morning, 41 weeks pregnant and ready to go to the doctor. At this point my contractions were about 3 minutes apart. The doctor said I was 100% effaced, dialated to a 3-4, and the baby was at a zero station. He said I was definitely in labor and should go to the hospital.

We got to the hospital around 10am and I got hooked up to an IV so I could get the pain medication ASAP. I requested the epidural ASAP also and got that a little after 11. The doctor checked me again around noon and said I was dialated to a 4-5 and making good progress.

Well around 3 that afternoon my epidural started to stop working on my left side. The anesthesiologist tried to fix it and it worked for a little while but then the whole epidural stopped working completely. Unfortunately that happened during the "transition" phase of labor which is pretty much the worst part. I thought I was going to die. They gave me a new epidural but I had to sit through a good hour and a half of really excruciating contractions before the new epidural started working. I just cried and wondered if I'd survive. The new epidural was magical though and I was so grateful for it. At 6pm I was fully dialated so the nurse came in and helped me push for about an hour, then the doctor came to deliver Josh who came at 7:56pm!


The next day and a half at the hospital were a daze. I felt so tired, so beat up, so overwhelmed, but also so happy and so grateful that Josh was healthy and that everything was going well. I loved my nurses so much for taking such good care of me and helping make the experience so amazing. Josh passed all his tests with flying colors and hardly cried with all the pricks, shots, etc.

And I have to say how amazing Brandon has been throughout this whole experience. He said the exact right things and let me squeeze his hand to smithereens during the horrible contractions. He praised my efforts and kept my spirits high. He is beyond helpful and has been so supportive throughout this learning process. He is such a loving father to Josh and I am so grateful for him.

Here we are getting ready to leave the hospital. We left Wednesday afternoon.





We love Joshy so much. He really has been such a good baby. It's definitely overwhelming and life-changing and it's been very tiring learning how to be a parent but of course it's so worth it. We love this kid so much and are so grateful for him.

Here he is ready to go to his first doctor's appointment when he was just a few days old:

-Amy

16 comments:

Allyson said...

He is soooo cute and I look forward to seeing him someday at church!

Courtney said...

congratulations! he's so cute! and you look great in all those pictures too. I hope you recover quickly!

Mike, Haley, and Emma said...

Congratulations, Amy!!! He is the most darling little baby boy! I remember how the contractions and labor totally sucked when I had no epi!! At least you got one...I never did, and I still remember it like yesterday. Why do people tell you that you forget?? You never really do.

Megan said...

He is so cute. Love the pictures. The ripping sounds horrible! Ouch! Recovery is not fun but it will get better. Enjoy your little boy!!

Allison said...

Oh Amy, he is so handsome. What an ordeal you went through! I hope you're doing okay and have lots of help while you heal. You're one tough cookie and you made it and lived to tell! Way to be strong! I know you would agree with me that ever time you look into those little eyes, it's all worth it :)

Unknown said...

Amy he's soooo cute! Seriously! I love the cheeks, I could eat them up! It sounds like you did a great job and are continuing to so. Way to go and congrats to all of you!

Mallory Stoker said...

Congrats! He is so cute!

Jamie Smith said...

Are. You. Kidding. Me?!?!? Your epidural stopped working?? What a nightmare!!! You are seriously a champ for holding through that. Thanks for posting your labor story. I've been thinking about you a lot!

And don't even get me started on Joshy. Those little cheekies are awesome. You know how I love the chubby babies.

Congrats again. Don't you seriously feel tough that you went through childbirth? :)

The Paredes Family said...

Congratulations Amy! I hope your having fun cuddling that little boy! I LOVE his cheeks! So cute!

Rachel Hagen said...

Yeah!! He's here! He looks beautiful too! Congratulations on everything and nice job. I don't even want to think about going through that pain without meds. You are one tough lady. :)

emuhle said...

oh he is precious! congratulations!

Rachel said...

He is so beautiful! Congratulations! I hope you're recovering well. That sounds pretty horrible with the epidural and all. Josh looks a lot like Brandon in the 3rd to last picture.

Travis and Megan Liston said...

Congratulations Amy and Brandon! We're so happy for you! He is a beautiful little boy. -Megan

Anonymous said...

Amy that sounds like a long night and a day. You did a great job. I'm sure you are completely wiped out. He is beautiful and I'm so happy for you. I think he looks kind of like your mom when she was a baby.

Madison Benson said...

He is so incredibly adorable! Congratulations! I can't believe your epidural stopped working! I'm sure that was miserable, but that that little guy was totally worth it!

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Congratulations, Amy! He is perfect. And you are seriously tough for your labor experience. Good luck in the first month and remember that every week gets better! :)