I combined ideas from 2 different tutorials and loved how it turned out. I thought I'd share my own version of a tutorial in case it's helpful to anyone who is interested in making one. The cost of the teepee is under $50 but could be less depending on what supplies you might already own. I mainly used this tutorial: http://themerrythought.com/diy/teepee-diy-2/. I LOVE the authentic minimalist style of it. But I didn't trust myself to pick out good saplings (I was worried they'd end up being rotted or filled with bugs or dried out and then would collapse with any added pressure) so I used this tutorial as well where I got the idea of the 1x2x8's: http://www.thehandmadehome.net/2013/02/a-no-sew-teepee/. I also got the idea of adding Christmas lights inside.
Supplies:
Lowe's:
6- 1x2x8 pieces of wood- $1.17/pc unless you want nicer wood then it's closer to $4/pc
1- 5-pack Very Fine sandpaper sheets- $3.47 unless you get the nicer wood then you don't need sandpaper.
1- 12x9' 8 oz canvas painter's drop cloth- $21.98
Walmart:
1- ball of twine- $5. (You can find a selection of twine or rope at Lowe's but I prefer the Natural Polished Hemp Cord in the jewelry making section at Walmart because it doesn't fray as easily, is inexpensive, and I use it for other things.)
1- string of lights- $5.
1- pack of at least 12 large eyelets -$3.49 (You need 12 but the pack I got had 15 which was good since I messed up on a few of the eyelets. You can also find eyelets at any fabric store)
1- eyelet plier (You can get this at Walmart or at any fabric store, just make sure it says that it will work with large eyelets.)
1- pack Kiwi brown leather shoe laces $4 or any leather/suede cording
If you get the cheapest wood they have a Lowe's you'll need to sand them down to get them smooth. Then measure 12 inches down from the top of each pole and drill a hole using a 1/4" drill bit.
Position the poles standing up in a circle, put the bottoms of the poles about where you want them on the ground and then put the tops of the poles together where the drilled holes were. Then while holding the tops of the poles with one hand (I had to lean the poles toward me a little so they'd rest on each other since one hand won't fit around all of them :)) take your twine and
thread it through all the holes in all the poles in the order they are
in, pull tight and wrap the twine around and around very tight until it
seems very sturdy, then tie a knot.
Fold the drop cloth in half width-wise along the seam down the middle. On the edge that's folded measure 4.25 inches from the top corner, along the fold, and then 4.25 inches from the same corner across edge that's not folded. Lightly draw with a pencil a quarter circle connecting the marks you have just made, and cut along that line. Then wrap the canvas drop cloth around the poles with the cut part at the top up where the poles are tied together. Fold the drop cloth under and pull tight to make the edges meet and pin each side going down about a foot and a half down or so.
If no one is around to hold the drop cloth in place for you, use chip clips, clothespins, or binder clips to clip it together to hold while you measure down at the bottom. Spread the poles out as far as you have room in the area you want the teepee to be and try to get the spacing between poles somewhat even except the opening will be bigger than all other sides of the teepee and the side opposite the opening will be a little bigger than the sides. You can make it however big or small you want, whatever looks good to you. You can either measure around the bottom of the teepee and mark where you want the bottom of the teepee to be and just cut it and leave the raw edge on the outside of the poles or... I wanted to make little pockets to put the poles in so it would be a little sturdier and I wouldn't worry about the kids moving the poles around. If you want to make pockets, use pins to mark on the drop cloth where each pole is at the bottom. Then take the drop cloth down.
For the eyelets- measure 4" down and 1.25" over and mark, then 2 inches down and mark, repeat so there are 6 marks on each side. Then put your eyelets in with your eyelet pliers. Here's a great tutorial for how to use
eyelet pliers: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Eyelet-Pliers. You don't have
to punch a hole first, you can just cut a very small "X" with sharp
pointed scissors so that the fabric opens enough that the eyelet bottom
can fit through. 
Fold the teepee in half along the seam again like you did before. I wish I took a picture of this but I didn't so I'll try to explain. Since the drop cloth is folded there are 2 layers. The pins should line up and be in around the same spots on both layers of the drop cloth. The side opposite the side where you put your eyelets you see the shape of a quarter circle with your pins marking where the poles go. If you don't want pockets then go ahead and cut where you've marked that you want the edge to be. If you do want pockets, add about 6 inches to where the pins are and cut off the excess drop cloth in the shape of a quarter circle. Leave the pins pinned to the drop cloth. Around where the pin is, fold under half inch and then fold again about 4 inches and sew leaving a width of about 4 inches so the pole has room to move around and in case your measurements are a little off that will give you room for error when putting the poles in their pockets.

String the lights up the pole that is nearest the power outlet and then wrap only once around and in between the poles at the top so that most of the light is inside the teepee and then just jumble them together so they stay at the top. Drape the drop cloth around the poles again and stick them in their pockets. Lace the leather shoelace starting from the bottom and going up so the tie doesn't show. Tie on the inside of the teepee.
I had a big cowboy pillow and a faux sheepskin rug that I put inside that were the perfect final touches.





No comments:
Post a Comment