5.28.2014

Summer Vacation Part 1- Casper, Wyoming

Our epic summer vacation started with flying all day and into the night to Brandon's parents house in Casper, Wyoming. It could've been worse but we definitely had our meltdown moments toward the end of the day. We finally laid our heads down on pillows at (what felt like) 1am our time. The kids woke up at 6:30am the next morning so we adjusted to Mountain Time right off the bat.

Emma likes to sleep with her head under a pillow :-)

First thing that morning we headed over to the high school to help set up the snow cone stand. Brandon's dad came up with the brilliant idea 17 years ago to sell snow cones at the Wyoming State Track Meet that is held for 3 days (Thursday-Saturday) toward the end of May each year at Brandon's high school. There are no other vendors besides the concession stand so the snow cones sell really well (as long as it's not cold and rainy) and they typically make a few thousand dollars. All of the kids in Brandon's family sold snow cones during their college years to help pay for college and missions. I think it's awesome. Now that all the kids are out of college they still sell want to sell snow cones but it's kind of whoever can make it out there to sell. Brandon has gone to sell snow cones by himself a few times while we've been married but this was my first time experiencing the legendary "snow cone selling" firsthand!

Oh, another reason we came to Casper was to buy a new MINIVAN!!! Brandon's dad has a car guy who got us an awesome deal on the most amazing minivan in the world and we are soooo in love with it!


So the next day while Brandon and his parents were all at the track meet selling snow cones I took the kids to run to Target to get sunscreen and a few other things and then go to a park to play. Well Emma fell asleep in the van in the 5 minutes it took to get to the park and I remember opening the door to get her out and her face looked totally fine and when she woke up a second later she rubbed her eye and I didn't think much of it and I carried her over to the park and noticed she kept rubbing her eye but figured it was because she was waking up. So the kids were playing and I noticed Emma's right eye was swelling shut and was really watery. Then the whole right side of her face was splotchy and looked like there was a rash. Her nose started running and she kept rubbing her eye and face and was trying to keep playing but she was pretty miserable. In a matter of a few minutes it had really escalated and I was worried that whatever this reaction was might spread, like potentially to her throat... so I decided we better go back to Brandon's parents houses to evaluate the situation.


I got the kids eating lunch, said a prayer, and called my mom to help me through this crisis since it wasn't getting any better. She suggested wiping her face down with water to make sure it's clean and then grinding up oats into a powder and mixing it with water to make a paste to put on.

The kids had finished lunch and Emma was on the ipad while I got my paste ready and when I came back to put the paste on her face, it had completely cleared up. It was a miracle. I couldn't believe it. It cleared up in like 3 minutes! I was so relieved. Put her right to bed for a nap to recover.

Friday morning I went and helped Brandon sell snow cones while his mom took Josh and Emma to a park. It was so fun learning the ropes and experiencing it! I learned how to pack snow into the cup then was on snow-packing duty while Brandon was on syrup duty. The weather was great and I think I held my own!

 

Saturday morning I helped again. It was so fun.

Then we went out to eat to celebrate a job well done. We had so much fun at Grandma and Papa's house. We loved playing in their awesome backyard, going to awesome playgrounds, singing with Grandma, having movie nights with popcorn, playing with fun toys and games like Crossfire :-)






Sunday morning after church we drove the 6-hour drive to Provo in our new minivan.... such a dream.

No comments: